Sussex VA Lawyers Riley & Wells for Criminal & Traffic Defense
Free Sussex County VA Case Evaluation
Please complete the below case evaluate form and we will contact you as soon as possible. Normal office hours are Monday-Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Riley & Wells Attorneys-At-Law, PLLC, is a limited liability company that is registered to practice law with the Commonwealth of Virginia State Corporation Commission. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law by the Virginia State Bar. We are a local law firm that represents clients every week before the Sussex County Virginia Circuit, General District, and Juvenile & Domestic Relations District Courts. Virginia is a large state and we believe that clients are better represented by local attorneys who regularly appear before the same Courts.
Sussex Circuit Court
Hon. Gary M. Williams
Phone: (434) 246-1012
Clerk’s Office Hours
9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
P. O. Box 1337
- Hon. William Allan Sharrett, Presiding Judge
- Hon. William Edward Tomko III, Chief Judge
- Hon. Carson E. Saunders Jr.
Terms of Court and General Information
- Terms begin, 2nd Tuesday, Jan., Mar., July, Sept., & Nov.
- The May term is usually scheduled to begin at an alternate date, due to a mandated judicial conference the 2nd week in May.
- Civil cases set by praecipe submitted through Wednesday preceding docket call. An attorney must appear at docket call, unless arrangements have been made through the court administrator, Ms. Susan Chappell at 804-733-2623.
- Grand Juries, 1st day of Term.
- All Cases set on Term Day.
- Court convenes 9:00 a.m. (except first day of term which is 10:00 a.m.)
- Commissioners are utilized in partition matters, interrogatories and drawing of juries.
- Instructions must be submitted 5 days prior to trial.
- Local Rules adopted pursuant to Section 8.01-4.
- The Sussex Circuit Court will forward final orders by regular mail, or by hand on the day of entry, certified copies of the final order to counsel or pro se parties once we receive the judge’s signature. There is not a significant time lapse once the order has been entered, unless there is an untimely delay in receiving it by mail.
Sussex General and Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Courts
Ms Faye Parham Yelverton
Phone: (434) 246-1096
Clerk’s Office Hours
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
P. O. Box 1315
General District Judges
- Hon. Bruce A. Clark Jr., Presiding Judge, Chief Judge
- Hon. Churchill Ridley Bain, Presiding Judge
- Hon. Elbert D. Mumphery
- Hon. Lyndia P. Ramsey
- Hon. Harold Lee Townsend III
Juvenile and Domestic Relations Judges
- Hon. Christopher B. Ackerman, Presiding Judge
- Hon. Wallace W. Brittle Jr., Presiding Judge
- Hon. Jacqueline R. Waymack, Chief Judge
Monday - Civil/Criminal 9:00 a.m., Uncontested Civil 10:00 a.m., Arraignments, Bond Hearings, Criminal Trials 12:30 noon, Contested Civil; Hearing time case specific 1:30 p.m., Prison Criminal/Civil 2:30 p.m., Contested Civil; Hearing time case specific Tuesday - County/Town Traffic 9:00 a.m., Sussex County Sheriff's Department Traffic 10:00 a.m., Town of Waverly Traffic 11:00 a.m., 12:00 noon, 12:30 p.m., Arraignments, Attorney Related Bond Hearings, Plea Bargains, Trials 1:30 p.m., Sussex County Sheriff's Department Traffic Thursday - State Police 9:00 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 10:00 a.m., & 10:30 a.m., State Police Traffic 11:00 a.m., Arraignments, Attorney Related Bond Hearings Plea Bargains, Trials Juvenile & Domestic Relations Wednesday 1st & 4th Wednesday 8:30 a.m., Criminal Arraignments 9:00 a.m., Juvenile Traffic 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., Criminal Cases 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m., Civil Case 2nd Wednesday 10:00 a.m., DSS Cases 1:00 p.m., Civil Cases Friday 2nd Friday 8:30 a.m., Criminal Arraignments 9:00 a.m., Juvenile Traffic 10:00 a.m., Criminal Cases 3rd Friday 9:00 a.m., DCSE Arraignments 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m., DCSE Cases 1:00 p.m., Civil Cases
In traffic and criminal cases, one continuance granted without cause by Clerk; subsequently granted only for cause. In civil cases, continuances granted by Clerk upon agreement of all parties.