Hopewell VA Lawyers Riley & Wells for Criminal & Traffic Defense
Free Case Evaluation
Riley & Wells Attorneys-At-Law, PLLC, is a limited liability company that is registered to practice law with the Commonwealth of Virginia State Corporation Commission. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law by the Virginia State Bar. We are a local law firm that represents clients every week before the Hopewell Virginia Circuit, General District, and Juvenile & Domestic Relations District Courts. Virginia is a large state and we believe that clients are better represented by local attorneys who regularly appear before the same Courts.
Hopewell Circuit Court
Hon. Tamara J. Ward
Phone: (804) 541-2239
Clerk’s Office Hours
8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
100 E. Broadway
- Hon. William Allan Sharrett, Presiding Judge
- Hon. William Edward Tomko III, Chief Judge
- Hon. Carson E. Saunders Jr.
Terms of Court and General Information
- Terms begin, 2nd Tuesday, Feb., Apr., June, Aug., Oct., & Dec.
- Motions Day, 2nd and 4th Fridays.
- Grand Juries, 1st day of Term.
- Civil cases set by praecipe.
- Civil Court convenes 9:00 a.m.
- Criminal Court convenes 9:00 a.m.
- Commissioners in Chancery are utilized in partition suits.
- Instructions must be submitted 5 days prior to trial.
- Local rules adopted pursuant to Section 8.01-4.
- Final Orders will be mailed to all counsel of record and any unrepresented party as soon as they have been entered by the Judge. The preferred practice is to submit self-addressed, stamped envelopes for the return of the certified copies of the Final Order. However, this office will always mail and provide certified copies to all parties whether an envelope has been provided to us or has not been provided to us.
Hopewell General & Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Courts
Ms Ellen Taylor Chiasson
Phone: (804) 541-2257
Clerk’s Office Hours
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
100 East Broadway
General District Judges
- Hon. Bruce A. Clark Jr., Presiding Judge, Chief Judge
- Hon. Elbert D. Mumphery, Presiding Judge
- Hon. Churchill Ridley Bain
- Hon. Lyndia P. Ramsey
- Hon. Harold Lee Townsend III
Juvenile and Domestic Relations Judges
- Hon. Jacqueline R. Waymack, Presiding Judge, Chief Judge
- Hon. Christopher B. Ackerman, Presiding Judge
- Hon. Wallace W. Brittle Jr., Presiding Judge
General District Monday: Criminal Docket 8:30 a.m., Bonded Arraignments/ Protective Orders 9:00 a.m., Video arraignments/bond hearings 9:30 a.m., Trials/non-attorney cases 10:00 a.m., Trials/attorney cases 2nd Monday 1:00 p.m., City Code Enforcement Cases 2:00 p.m., Animal Control Cases Tuesday - Police Dept. Traffic Docket 8:30 a.m., Bonded arraignments 9:00 a.m., Video Arraignments/ Bond Hearings / Non-Attorney Trial Docket 10:00 a.m., Attorney Docket / Trials 11:00 a.m., Protective Orders Wednesday - Civil Docket 9:00 a.m., Attorney Cases 10:00 a.m., Non-attorney cases 11:00 a.m., Contested cases 11:30 a.m., Protective Orders Thursday - Sheriff's Docket 8:30 a.m., Bonded arraignments 9:00 a.m., Video arraignments/bond hearings 9:30 a.m., Non-attorney public docket 11:30 a.m., Protective Orders 1:00 p.m., Attorney cases Friday 10:00 a.m., Protracted civil cases Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court 1st Monday of Month 9:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., DSS/Foster care cases 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m., DSS/Foster care cases Tuesday: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th 8:30 a.m., Bonded Arraignments 9:00 a.m., Protective Orders 9:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., Support/Custody/Visitation Cases 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m., Video Arraignments/Bond Hearings/ Contested Support/Custody/Visitation cases Wednesday: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th 8:30 a.m., Bonded arraignments 9:00 a.m., Protective orders 9:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., Support/custody/visitation cases 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m., Video Arraignments/bond hearings/ contested support/ custody/visitation cases Thursday 8:30 a.m., Bonded arraignments 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., Adult/juvenile criminal trials 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m., Video Arraignments/ Bond Hearings / Dispositional cases 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m., Adult/juvenile criminal trials Friday: 2nd & 4th 8:30 a.m., Bonded arraignments 9:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m., Protective orders 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 pm.m, DCSE support cases 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m., Video Arraignments/ Bond Hearings/ DCSE support cases
First continuance granted by Clerk; subsequently granted by Judge.