Virginia Speeding Ticket Defense Lawyer
Virginia ranks as one of the toughest states on speeders. A Virginia Speeding Ticket is probably the most common type of traffic violation in Virginia and a conviction can negatively affect you in many ways as follows:
- Excessive fines and court costs
- Increased automobile insurance premiums
- Assessment of DMV demerit points
- Loss of driving privileges depending on speed and prior convictions
Effective Speeding Ticket Attorneys
Riley & Wells Attorneys-At-Law is an established local law firm that defends clients accused of speeding. An experienced local Virginia Speeding Ticket Attorney can insure that your rights are protected, that you are not intimidated in the courtroom and that you increase your chances of securing a better result than you would be able to obtain for yourself, with fewer points, a lower fine and less hassle. Defending a speeding allegation becomes more difficult for out of the area or out of state drivers. However, in those instances, we can typically appear before the Court on our client’s behalf. In either case, the primary goal for the client is to protect driving privileges, the driving record & the automobile insurance policy. We will examine and analyze your case and use proven strategies to best defend your particular situation.
Successful Virginia Speeding Ticket Defense Attorney Client Reviews
Virginia Reckless Driving Speeding Attorneys
The most serious type of speeding case in Virginia is the Reckless Driving Speeding Ticket pursuant to Va. Code 46.2-862. The law states that a person shall be guilty of reckless driving if there is evidence of driving a motor vehicle at a speed of 20 miles per hour or more above the speed limit OR in excess of 80 miles per hour regardless of the speed limit. There are many places on Virginia interstates where the speed limit is 70 miles per hour. Thus, traveling at a speed of 81 miles per hour in one of these 70 mile per hour speed zones could trigger a Virginia Uniform Summons for reckless driving, which is a serious class one misdemeanor with harsh penalties. Many of our clients that find themselves facing this allegation travel on the Interstate.
- A Virginia Speeding Ticket may be charged as follows:
- 46.2-862 Reckless Driving-Speeding
- 46.2-870 Speeding
- 46.2-871 Maximum Speed Limit for School Buses
- 46.2-872 Maximum Speed Limits for Vehicles Under Special Permits
- 46.2-873 Speeding in a School Zone or at a School Crossing
- 46.2-873.1 Maximum Speed Limit on Nonsurface Treated Highways
- 46.2-873.2 Maximum Speed Limit on Rural Rustic Roads
- 46.2-874 Speeding in a Business or Residential District
- 46.2-875 Maximum Speed Limit on Certain Other Highways
- 46.2-877 Minimum Speed Limits (Impeding the Flow of Traffic)
- 46.2-878 Authority to Change Speed Limits
- 46.2-878.1 Speeding in a Highway Work Zone
- 46.2-878.2 Maximum Speed Limits in Certain Residential Districts
- 46.2-881 Speeding on Bridges, Tunnels and Interstates
- 46.2-947 Speeding Within Highway Safety Corridor
Experienced Traffic Court Representation
Our Some people don’t think they need a Virginia Speeding Ticket Lawyer to assist them with their speeding ticket. This may be true is some cases, but it would still be wise to consult an attorney before taking such a course of action. The Virginia State Troopers, Police Officers, and Deputy Sheriffs who issue Virginia Speeding Tickets usually calculate your speed accurately and can often prove their case at trial. Accordingly, we often find it in the best interests of our clients to use proven trial and negotiation strategies to successfully resolve the case. Most folks representing themselves are not capable of properly defending a case before the Courts.
Our Virginia Speeding Ticket Lawyers have a clear understanding of Virginia speeding laws, traffic court procedures, procedural and technical defenses, and law enforcement methods of detecting speed such as: RADAR, LIDAR, VASCAR, Aerial Speed Measurement, and use of a police vehicle with a calibrated speedometer. Increase your chances of successfully dealing with your Virginia speeding ticket by contacting us today for a free initial consultation.
Let us review YOUR case. We can help!
By Mitch Wells 11/10/2015 | Updated 3/12/2018